Saturday, September 13, 2008

Polls, Poles and power

On my walk today I picked up a news paper to read while I cooled down. A few things alamed me. Obama is down in the polls. I have such hope and wish people would vote in the direction of my hope... our hope. But just like here, the people who could make a difference often dont even register because they think it is an exersise in futility.

Yesterday at a barbeque with my co workers, we talked about the upcoming peaceful protest/gathering at fishing base. One person there said it doesnt matter to them because they dont even vote anyway. And I thought, argh! You are part of the problem! If more people cared, if more people realized they DO COUNT then maybe better leaders would be elected. Maybe.

On my walk, I counted signs for each of the different people running for US congress. John Davis has not one sign, yet he is the only one who I have read a plan from. Maybe I missed the other guys. But I have to say, his plan sounded like something many people would support if they didnt vote based on family. How he would accomplish this I am not so sure, but it is a good start to have a plan.

Two or three days ago, Atalig drove by my house with 100 decibles of spagetti pa-pa-pa blaring from the back of a trailer. I guess the lyrics were changed to say "bota ta-ta-ta". He stood at the back of the trailer with a mic waving and saying thank you to no one in particular. the people in the back of the trailer with him seemed like they were shell shocked by the sound. Seriously, that music was WAY TOO LOUD. Those people will probably have hearing problems. You could hear the music like it was in your house, I-shit-you-not, 3 to 5 minutes before they drove by. The bass of the music was ratting the dishes in my cupboards. The second time he drove by (on the way back out I assume), Atalig didnt say anything. He should have just threw some candy at least. I wont vote for him FOR SURE.

Also in the papers was an article about the melting ploar ice and how it is opening up shipping lanes from the arctic to the pacific. The "experts" say it could be 20 years before it is all melted, maybe more or less... that scares me too. If-- no when that happens, our lives will be significantly different. Thank god we bought land high up in Papago. Our ocean view might get closer...

I think it is funny that the Charles Reyes has such an attitude about Teno's letter to Bush. He reminds me of the kid who does all the naysaying for the bully. "Teno's only politiking" and "he is not loyal to the governor". wa wa wa. CHARLES I WANT TO KNOW: WHO IS!? Besides you I mean! Guess he is Ben's only sidekick since Tim abandoned him.

1 comment:

Lil' Hammerhead said...

Things will look up. Don't fret. :}

We might be under a new "shipping lane" some day? Who knows. I saw an article about Antarctica (I think).. it stated that it is now possible to sail completely around Antarctica, due to the disappearing sea ice. It's not going to take many feet of increase to see much of this place underwater.