Saturday, October 4, 2008

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee

I am reading this book now, just started it. And I am realizing now how many Indian Tribe names and actual people names are borrowed to name things, places and stuff in America.

Places - Cities, mountains, rivers
Ottowa
Shasta
Miami
Kickapoo
Potomac
Delaware
Yuma
Mohave
Cheyenne
Navaho

Stuff
Cherokee
Pontiac
Black Hawke
Winnebago

I am sure there are more but I am only in the first chapter.

It saddens me to read how brutal colonists could be. I thought Pocahantis got with John Smith. Why did Disney change his name? It makes me think about how in Japan, they dont teach what atrocities went on in WWII and don't teach that they surrendered. It makes me wonder if what they teach in american history is totally skewed too. It must be.

9 comments:

Lil' Hammerhead said...

Depends. I've had history classes that were brutally honest, and laid out what was really done to the native Americans. And history classes that "glossed over" that period.

Unaiveia said...

i just remember classes where they would talk about manifest desitny as if it were a magnificent thing. Then i realize what it really did.

KAP said...

I think most modern textbooks are more honest

Manifest Destiny was controversial even when it was the policy. A lot of people rejected it.

Anonymous said...

Some American history is largely hidden, and some LARGELY hidden. Try unearthing an accurate accounting of the US 7th Infantry's role in the liberation of the Phillipines.

A good companion to Wounded Knee is Over the Earth I Come Dancing (sorry, I have it but can't remember the author), an historical account of the rise and fall of Crazy Horse (not the band).

By the way- Manifest Destiny is alive and well in the 21st century.

Lil' Hammerhead said...

I agree Goose. The Crazy Horse story is a terrible one.

Unaiveia said...

I feel so naive.

I guess it is because I am only now becoming aware.

KAP said...

Every once in a while someone tells me 'you can't read all of the books in the library'. I know they're right, but it always makes me mad.

Anonymous said...

A lot of that crap leveled against the 7th ID you'll read is completely one-sided.

The Filipinos cried foul when they were "massacred" but they attacked sleeping units and did the same.

Just because the Americans killed them better doesn't make them any worse.

Anonymous said...

"By the way- Manifest Destiny is alive and well in the 21st century."

Where and by whom?